Sunday, June 6, 2010

GRISHAM v/s ARCHER

AMERICAN AUTHOR V/S ENGLISH AUTHOR (BOTH WRITING MAJORLY ABOUT THINGS THEY THEMSELVES EXPERIENCED – GRISHAM ABOUT LAW AND ARCHER ABOUT PRISONERS AND PRISONS .) NOW I AM NO AUTHORITY ON EITHER, I HAVE READ A BOOK (EACH) BY BOTH THE ILLUSTROUS AUTHORS. TO BE HONEST , THE ONLY MURDER MYSTERIES I EVER REALLY LIKED WERE “THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO” AND OFCOURSE , “KIDNAPPED” – I READ MY FAIR SHARE OF NOVELS WITH MEN GETTING SHIPWRECKED , LAWYERS FIGHTING GLORIOUS CASES AND WINNING IMPOSSIBLE MYSTERIES . BOTH THE AUTHORS I DISCUSS TODAY ARE WIDELY READ (ESPECIALLY BY A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO DO NO PREFER TO CALL THEMSELVES ARDENT READERS) I JUST GAVE THEM A TRY SO THAT I MAY KNOW WHAT ALL THE HYPE WAS ABOUT.

I READ “THE CLIENT” BY JOHN GRISHAM – A LITTLE BOY , WHO IS OBVIOUSLY EXTRAORDINARY , STOPS A HALF CRAZED MAN FROM COMMITING SUICIDE (THROUGH VARIOUS THINGS HE HAS LEARNT WATCHING CSI ON TELEVISION) , HIS LITTLE BROTHER IS TRAUMATIZED AFTER THE INCIDENT. THE STORY GOES ON WHERE HE ENDS UP KNOWING THE WHEREABOUT OF A SENATOR’S DEAD BODY , GETTING INVOLVED WITH SICK , TWISTED AND CALLOUS POLICEMEN AND THE MAFIA. HE FINDS HIMSELF – A GODMOTHER OF A LAWYER , WITH A TRADITIONAL STEREOTYPICAL FIGURE OF “MAMMA LOVE” FEEDING THE DOWNTRODDEN – HELPING HER WRONGED DAUGHTER ROUGH IT TO THE WRONGDOERS ……A SERIES OF CLICHES – A VERY VERY ASSUMABLE PLOT – I COULD SMELL THE TWISTS AND TURNS. I REMAIN – SADLY VERY UNIMPRESSED. HE IS A LAWYER WRITING ABOUT LAW – WEAVING IN THE DRAMA , THE GOOD LAWYERS , THE BAD COPS , THE TROUBLED SINGLE MOTHER, THE BRAVE CHILD AND OFCOURSE WITH THE MAFIA – THE SERIES OF CLICHES IS PERFECTLY COMPLETED. I AM FORCED TOASK - WHAT IS ALL THE HUE AND CRY ABOUT ? BUT THEN MAYBE IM TOO HARSH TO JUDGE HIM AFTER READING ONE NOVEL. THE CHILD’S CUNNING IS OBVIOUSLY A POINT TO BE MARVELLED UPON.

COMING TO ARCHER – A QUIRKY AUTHOR. I MUST SAY, I THINK HIS INTERVIEWS ARE MUCH MORE INTERESTING THAN HIS BOOKS. THIS IS THE SAME PERSON WHO CLAIMED THAT DAN BROWN HAD NO RIGHT TO BE A BESTSELLER AND GAVE JUDGEMENT THAT THE READING HABBITS OF THE WORLD HAD GONE TO THE DOGS . SADLY (AGAIN IM JUDGING HIM FROM ONE BOOK – “THE PRISONER OF BIRTH ”) HE CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE TO BROWN (WHOSE EXTENSICE RESEARCH AND AMAZING DEXTRITY WITH PLOT ONE HAS TO ACCEPT). IN MY OPINION, A MUCH OBVIOUSLY BETTER WRITER THAN GRISHAM. I KNEW THAT DANNY WOULD ESCAPE FROM THE PRISON A NICK , I KNEW THAT IN THE END HE WILL MANAGE TO BE FREE , I COULD PREDICT EVERY TWIST OF THE BOOK – AND ONE WILL AGREE THAT IN A THRILLE THAT IS NOT A GOOD TRAIT. HIS WOMEN ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL – HIS HEROES ALL EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT – AND OFCOURSE , THE WRONGDOERS VERY GULLIBLE. STILL , THE COURT SCENES , SPECIALLY THE DIFFERENCE IN THE CHARACTERISATION OF THE MANY BARRISTERS , JUDGES AND JUNIORS IS COMMENDABLE. HE KEEPS ALLUDING TO THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO – SO MAYBE , I AM COMPARING BOTH THE BOOKS AND I FOUND ARCHER TO LACK JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF NOVELTY. STILL , HE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO HOLD A READER , HE HAS WHAT WILL MAKE YOU KEEP ON READING TILL THE LAST PAGE. THE DRUG PEDDLING IN PRISONS IS VERY INSIGHTFUL . ARCHER IS DEFINITELY ONE UP WHEN COMPARED TO GRISHAM – BUT THEN, WITH HIS RECORD FOR CONTROVERSIES ONE DOESN’T REALLY EXPECT ANY LESS.

THOUGH , I STAND NOT VERY CONVINCED WITH BOTH AUTHORS , I STILL WANT TO READ MORE BOOKS BY THEM (SPECIALLY ARCHER) TO BE ABLE TO REALLY HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT THEM.  ONE THING IS CLEAR – THEY HAVE ALL THE INGREDIENTS TO MAKE WHAT IS  CALLED A BESTSELLER.  OFCOURSE THEY HAVE MORE TALENT THAN HIM , BUT I MIGHT JUST LIABLE BOTH AS ENHANCED CHETAN BHAGATS – CATERING TO THE EXACT NEEDS OF THE GLOBAL AUDIENCE.

2 comments:

Sanjukta said...

Aww u didn't like Archer? :( you gotta read more books by him!!! Try read 'Kane & Abel' or The Prodigal Daughter..n u might like him a little better ^.^[i hope u do!] & he definitely is much better than Grisham any day :P :P

PHOTOGENIC DEVIL said...

hmm - i think i will read the books ur telling me to - if only to knw why all the noise is bout :P