Sunday, June 6, 2010

THE TIN DRUM

I HAVE PUT VIRGINIA WOOLF ON HOLD- FOR I CAME ACROSS A VERY INTERESTING SOUNDING BOOK - THIS IS BY THE NOBEL PRIZE WINNING GERMAN AUTHOR - GUNTER GRASS.

HERE IS AN EXCERPT FROM THE VERY FIRST PAGE OF THE NOVEL ---:
Once a week a visiting day breaks in on the stillness that I plait between the white metal bars. This is the

time for the people who want to save me, whom it amuses to love me, who try to esteem and respect
themselves, to get to know themselves, through me. How blind, how nervous and ill-bred they are! They scratch the white enamel of my bedstead with their fingernail scissors, they scribble obscene little men on it with their ballpoint pens and blue pencils. No sooner has my lawyer blasted the room with his hello than he slaps his nylon hat down over the lower left-hand bedpost -- an act of violence that shatters my peace of mind for the duration of his visit, and lawyers find a good deal to talk about.


a novel can't have a hero any more because there are no more individualists, because individuality is a thing of the past, because man -- each man and all men together -- is alone in his loneliness and no one is entitled to individual loneliness, and all men lumped together make up a "lonely mass" without names and without heroes.
I AM AMAZED BY THIS AUTHOR'S STYLE ...  I PROMISE TO FINISH THIS BOOK AND REVIEW IT ......

TILL THEN

HAPPY READING :)

No comments: