Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dangerous Liasions

Have you seen Stephen Frears' Dangerous Liasions  ??

no ?

YOU MUST .

That is , if you are looking for a dangerous kind of feminism, and how difficult it is to own it  - and beautiful Michelle Pfieffer - and see seduction, revenge , betrayal at its best - and learn to die for it while not taking it so seriously.

The movie breaks beautifully into amazing wit , and harsh , intense cruelty - this guy is brilliant. Anyone who has seen The Quee, knows that he is brilliant , but this movie , i think , beats the crap out of Queen.

wow.

Maybe i am exaggerating - i do have a thing for period dramas.
Vicomte de Valmont: I ended by falling on my knees and pledging her eternal love. And do you know that, at that time, and for several hours afterwards, I actually meant it

Vicomte de Valmont - You see, I have no intention of breaking down her prodigiousness. I want her to believe in God and virtue and the sanctity of marriage and still not be able to stop herself. I want the excitement of watching her betray everything that's most important to her.


Marquise de Merteuil - When it comes to marriage, one man is as good as the next. And even the least accommodating is less trouble than a mother.


Marquise de Merteuil: I've always known that I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.

Vicomte de Valmont: Is there anything I can do to help?

Vicomte de Valmont: Now, yes or no? It is up to you, of course. I will merely confine myself to remarking that a "no" will be regarded as a declaration of war. A single word is all that is required.
Marquise de Merteuil: All right: war!

telling a girl who has been raped ,  Marquise de Merteuil: You'll find the shame is like the pain, you only feel it once.

Vicomte de Valmont: Why do you suppose we only feel compelled to chase the ones who run away? Vicomte de Valmont: I often wonder how you manage to invent yourself.  
Marquise de Merteuil , wow , what a woman , unhappy, but then , who isnt ? i have just found my feminist ideal. the way she holds her own  - and she loves, she feels , even contemptuous of the ones she loves yet she loves . she is my Eleanor Roosevelt !
 
must watch.


Marquise de Merteuil: Well, I had no choice, did I? I'm a woman. Women are obliged to be far more skillful than men. You can ruin our reputation and our life with a few well-chosen words. So, of course, I had to invent, not only myself, but ways of escape no one has every thought of before. And I've succeeded because I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.



Marquise de Merteuil: Immaturity?



No comments: