Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Little Women and this Little Woman


I love this book ! It has to be one of the first books i ever read - and i will never forget Jo .

LM Alcott, was a GENIUS writer . There is no other word for her - though this book has afforded her literary historical significance, my friend , Isha and I helped by our batty school librarian developed a lifelong fondness for all her books. For those of you , who actually enjoy beautifully written english novels like Little Women and The Anne of Green Gables series , I am BEGGING YOU to read An Old Fashioned Girl , if only for my sake. If you like it , then come back and ill let you in on such treats that your head will be swimming in such simple heartfelt stories which despite their critiqued "inherent morality" leave you so satitated you won't need another book for a couple of days.

But , I digress . Just caught the 1949 movie version of the book on TCM - several changes , but brilliantly done movie. I cried for Beth as i always do , and I came back and googled Laurie ( very good looking man !) , and it brought back memories and through the dialogues, i was placing them under chapter titles.

Disappointing in cutting out the famous kiss between Jo and Professor - that little kiss under the unmbrella (iconographic FYI ) , meant the world to me . Even Laurie , is a little underplayed in the movie - for his role is mercilessly cut out. Amy is nasty - which was'nt quite all that true , but Taylor has done a fine job of whatever she was given.

Little Women - aah , you smell of Loreto corridors, and shine like our pleated blue skirts . You take me back to those days , when balls and slippers disassociated from being merely a cinderella fancy but graduated into friendship , love and scorched dresses. I mourn for you now , as you lie unopened in some corner of this world, where children will read useless science fiction and not long for Jo to fall in love with Laurie, or yearn for a "bashful neighbour". You have coloured my life in myriad ways - for men to tie their fingers to the ends of my apron strings, to try and be good , to love and to always yearn to be a better you and finally coming home. Thank you . I promise you - if I ever have daughters , or even if I have sons , you will be one of the first books i would want them to read - in my childhood world of Robinson Crusoe and Tom Sawyer - you showed me how much of a woman I could be , Jo , but did'nt really need to be right away. You are beautiful...

"Jo March: He's dull as powder, Meg. Can't you at least marry someone amusing? "


"Jo March: Well, of course Aunt March prefers Amy over me. Why shouldn't she? I'm ugly and awkward and I always say the wrong things. I fly around throwing away perfectly good marriage proposals. I love our home, but I'm just so fitful and I can't stand being here! I'm sorry, I'm sorry Marmee. There's just something really wrong with me. I want to change, but I - I can't. And I just know I'll never fit in anywhere. "


"Jo: If only I could be like father and crave violence and go to war and stand up to the lions of injustice. "


The best of us have a spice of perversity in us, especially when we are young and in love."


Laurie: I've loved you ever since I've known you, Jo, couldn't help it, you've been so good to me. I've tried to show it, but you wouldn't let me; no I'm going to make you hear, and give me an answer, for I can't go on so any longer."

6 comments:

Myself said...

Hey Devika

I really really want you to do this:

http://myself-throughmyeyes.blogspot.com/2011/07/id-do-anything-to-live-my-childhood.html


I'm sure you'll come up with a great story!

Myself said...

Hello Devika,

Where art thou?

I have a surprise for you! You won an award! :D
http://myself-throughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

PHOTOGENIC DEVIL said...

the reason iv not been around is because i had no internet. im really bad with technology and cool apps offered on the internet or i wld have beat alexa to the award !!

and lastly , thanx a tonne for making me one of your picks - your awesome :)) infact, when i first visited ur blog and those that you followed , i was really happy you follow mine too because, lord you kids can write poetry !!!

i promise to be regular , and keep up my quirkiness and stream of web nonsense broadcast :))

lots of love
devika
p.s. congratulations on winning the battle against zits - iv been drying for over a decade and they still sucker punch me every time.
p.p.s. im going to come up with my story , just you wait .
:))

PHOTOGENIC DEVIL said...

the reason iv not been around is because i had no internet. im really bad with technology and cool apps offered on the internet or i wld have beat alexa to the award !!

and lastly , thanx a tonne for making me one of your picks - your awesome :)) infact, when i first visited ur blog and those that you followed , i was really happy you follow mine too because, lord you kids can write poetry !!!

i promise to be regular , and keep up my quirkiness and stream of web nonsense broadcast :))

lots of love
devika
p.s. congratulations on winning the battle against zits - iv been drying for over a decade and they still sucker punch me every time.
p.p.s. im going to come up with my story , just you wait .
:))

PHOTOGENIC DEVIL said...

and the comments are here becuase ur blog is not allowing me to post from my account !!!

Bejin Hakumei said...

It was one of my favourite books as a child. The Japanese (oh, how I love them) made an anime out of it and even that was better than the 1949 film.

Just saying.